Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
(makes 6 servings)
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 – 1 cup beer or to taste
- salt to taste
- In a large heavy kettle, melt butter or margarine.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and ham
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Add milk, paprika, cayenne, mustard, and beer.
- Stir in cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted.
- To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve piping hot.